June is National Safety Month and AgeWell New York is committed to ensuring your safety at home, at work, or in the car .
Follow the simple safety checklist. –
- Make sure you know where the smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are located in your home and in the workplace.
- Frequently check all carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check all appliances and power tools before leaving work- make sure you turn everything off.
- Do not text or talk on the phone while driving- It’s the law.
- Be sure to know the correct dosages for your medicine and what it’s being used for, along with the expiration date.
- Write down the poison control number (1-800-222-1222) and keep it next to your home phone. Add it to your cell phone as well.
- Have a safety screen in place in front of a fireplace.
- Make sure TVs are properly secured to walls or in or on a sturdy cabinet
- Remove any objects on your floor or steps that can cause you to fall. Check for uneven or broken staircases or loose handrails.
- Have a sturdy step stool with handrails, or a utility ladder to reach high cabinets or shelves. Think about a slip-resistant surface in the shower or tub.
Safety starts with you!