Disinfecting your home if someone is sick
Clean surfaces using soap and water. Practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces. High touch surfaces include: Tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, sinks, etc.
Use diluted household bleach solutions if appropriate for the surface. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.
Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
To make a bleach solution, mix:
5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water OR 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
Alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol.
Household cleaners and disinfectants: Clean the area or item with soap and water or another detergent if it is dirty. Then, use a household disinfectant.
Follow the instructions on the label to ensure safe and effective use of the product.
Many products recommend:
- Keeping the surface wet for several minutes to ensure germs are killed.
- Precautions such as wearing gloves and making sure you have good ventilation during use of the product.
For clothing, towels, linens and other items
- Wear disposable gloves.
- Wash hands with soap and water as soon as you remove the gloves.
- Do not shake dirty laundry.
- Launder items according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use the warmest appropriate water setting and dry items completely.
- Dirty laundry from an ill person can be washed with other people’s items.
- Clean and disinfect clothes hampers according to guidance above for surfaces.
- Stay separated: The ill person should eat (or be fed) in their room if possible.
- Wash dishes and utensils using gloves and hot water: Handle any non-disposable used food service items with gloves and wash with hot water or in a dishwasher.
- Clean hands after handling used food service items.
- Dedicated, lined trash can: If possible, dedicate a lined trash can for the ill person.Use gloves when removing garbage bags, and handling and disposing of trash. Wash hands afterwards.