The following measures to contain respiratory secretions are recommended for all individuals with signs and symptoms of a respiratory infection according to the CDC.
- COVER YOUR MOUTH and NOSE with a tissue when coughing or sneezing; or Cough into your sleeve or the crook of your arm; coughing into your hands spread germs
- DISPOSE the tissue after use in the nearest waste receptacle.
- Perform HAND HYGIENE (e.g., hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds, alcohol-based hand rub, or antiseptic handwash) after having contact with respiratory secretions and contaminated objects/materials.
Here’s some Fast Facts for you
- 20 Seconds – The amount of time it should take to wash your hands to eliminate germs and microbes.
- Coughing and sneezing travels 6-8 feet and stays suspended in the air for up to 10 minutes.
- 1 in 5 People DO NOT WASH their HANDS.